March 8, 2012

What can a nonprofit learn from a food truck?

Well, I don’t really know but with our hundreds of food trucks, Austin seems like the perfect place to find out! Neck deep in nonprofit work myself, I’d like to know what sort of quips of enlightenment a food truck can offer to help sustain the work we do. Apparently, there’s not just one thing I can learn from a food truck but SIX. Yep, you read that right. It’s intriguing enough that I’m going to make the GREAT TREK NORTH Friday afternoon (I’m a die-hard South Austin gal) to the JJ Pickle Research Center. The Nonprofit Technology Network (NTEN) is hosting a half-day event in conjunction with the very-great Austin 501 Tech Club (big supporters of Learner Web!), and it just so happens that one of their breakout sessions will reveal the answer to this most elusive of questions.

Also debuting at the event is the much-awaited Community Technology Map. I concede that probably only those of us who need to know where public computer labs and computer classes are in the city have been anxiously awaiting its release, but that doesn’t make it any less cool. It just means we’re the only ones that knew about its existence to date. Now YOU know, so spread the word. This interactive map is for all those programs with clients that need to learn how to use a computer, or heck, those of us whose parents desperately need to learn how to use one so that they stop calling us at all hours of the day asking, “Do I need to pay attention to the window-thingy that says something about a Java something?”

And if food trucks and cool maps aren’t enough to draw you there, I think I heard something about a happy hour…

No comments:

Post a Comment